The green lawns and surrounding trees give a pleasant setting to the present church. It is in the Early Decorated Style, and was completed in 1858 from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott, at a cost, exclusive of the Forman Chapel, £45,128 4s. 5d. The length and height are almost equal, the tower being one of the highest central towers in the country, viz., 170 feet. An additional bay would have greatly improved the proportions of the nave, but the necessary money was not forthcoming, and the Archbishop thought that the church was quite large enough.
The tower was the loveliest Feature of the old church……..,
To be continued.